Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Internships are scams I tells yah!!!!

Well they gotta be, it seems like the entire video game/animation/entertainment industry is held up by internships, err I mean, getting young students and grads to do a ton of work for nothing with the promise of a career and then dumping them. Although I personally haven't had any experience with an internship, I've heard plenty of horror stories, and worse I'm tired of looking for work, and all I see are unpaid internships. *Groan* Of course how can you blame the studios and businessmen, all they're doing is taking advantage of Artists' pasion for their work. Why bother "paying" professionals, when we can get a bunch of kids (who are dieing to proove themselves) to do the work for us. Well that's my rant on that subject. I sometimes feel like I missed out of something when I didn't enroll in any internships when I was in school, but then I hear the horror stories and I think, "Well maybe it wasn't all it was Cooked up to be" I'll make it through good old hard work and old timey fun.

Well if you've read through all that rant, here's some artwork to gaze at.


3 Comments:

Blogger justinpatrickparpan said...

Nice rant. The drawings are even better!

1:28 AM  
Blogger Robert Hume said...

Internships ARE a scam...but sometimes they really do pay off! The video game company I last worked for hired a lot of great artists who started off as interns. It's totally unfair, but sometimes they need to taste the goods before they're willing to shell out the money to pay for them. If you do intern over there, try to get a paid internship...even if it's just a little cash, like eight to ten dollars an hour or something...and make sure at some point you put your foot down and tell them that you NEED to get paid or your going to have to find a job that does. They'll have you work free there forever if you don't give them shit about it! I know it sounds lame, but if you prove to be a good worker in your internship they’re NOT going to want to lose you! Worst thing that can happen is you put in a few hours a week for a company for a couple months and you might leave with a little experience and a few connections out of it. Remember, in our industry (or any industry really) it's not always WHAT you know, but WHO you know.

I so hate that sad truth…

8:16 AM  
Blogger Robert Hume said...

nice drawings by the way

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home